Mission Implausible: how realistic are Hollywood film stunts?
- A new, interactive guide dissects far-fetched scenes from iconic action films to reveal which are feasible and which are impossible.
- Mission Implausible uses analysis from scientists and industry experts to determine the likelihood of improbable events from 12 popular films.
- Ethan Hunt should have died several times during a helicopter scene in Mission Impossible: Fallout.
- Indiana Jones should have been catapulted into space in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- However, The Rock’s daring leap between two buildings with a prosthetic leg in Skyscraper might actually be possible.
Have you ever wondered whether it’s possible to survive a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge, or to completely swap faces with someone? Mission Implausible dissects far-fetched film events to determine which are really feasible and which Die Hard.
Key events from 12 blockbusters are analysed in detail by industry experts, to determine whether it’s really possible for an amputee to jump from a crane into a burning skyscraper, or for a superspy to kitesurf to safety following an avalanche.
Bad Boys II protagonists Lowrey and Burnett would have been blown to smithereens by nearby landmines before they could even take a shot at the villains, or at least suffered major shrapnel damage - something the producers of the new Bad Boys For Life might want to take into account.
Meanwhile, Dominic Toretto and Brian O’Conner could technically have driven their Lykan Hypersport across two skyscrapers in Fast & Furious 7, but only if a series of unlikely events occurred - one to bear in mind for the creators of the new Hobbs and Shaw spin-off movie.
Each unique perspective comes from industry-leading experts, including a pilot, a stuntwoman, a plastic surgeon and ex-army officer.
The extensive guide also includes information about how each scene was filmed, to explain how the use of prosthetics, green screen or CGI made the implausible events seem like reality on screen.
The films featured in the piece include:
- Skyscraper (2018)
- Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)
- Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)
- Fast & Furious 7 (2015)
- Saw VII (2010)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
- Live Free or Die Hard (2007)
- Transporter 2 (2005)
- Bad Boys 2 (2003)
- Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)
- Die Another Day (2002)
- Face/Off (1997)
To find out whether it’s really possible to Die Another Day or Kill Bill, Mission Implausible has all the information and more you could need.
To view Mission Implausible, please visit: https://blog.betway.com/